SAP BW Training Forums BW310 – Enterprise Data Warehousing Issues with loading csv file, probably due to European vs American settings

Issues with loading csv file, probably due to European vs American settings

Back to course
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Cecilia
    Participant

Hi Rob,

I’ve created the data source in Section 3, Data Source Creation. But I’m having issues with the Beer Data file. One is that there are some brewery names that have commas in their names, for example Bell’s Brewery, Inc. which of course makes the datasource believe that Inc. is a separate column (if comma separation is used) and the whole data for that record is offset. This is easily overcome by either removing these commas or enclosing the brewery name in double qoutes, but I thought it worth mentioning.

The one issue that I don’t understand is, I believe, caused by the fact that my Excel is European, i.e. it’s using decimal commas rather than decimal dots.

I first used the beer_data file as is, but then got the message when attempting to preview it: “Error ‘Overflow converting from ‘011” at conversion exit RSDS_CONVERT_NUMBER (field ABV record 1, value 0.11)”. I believe it’s trying to tell me it sees 0.11 as a string rather than a number.

I therefore made a copy of beer_data, replacing the separating commas with semicolon and then replacing the decimal dots with commas. But then all my data ended up in the Brewery column and my numeric values (ABV etc) are zero: “Russian River Brewing Company;Pliny the Younger;American Double/Imperial IPA;0,11;4,67;724;1;California 0,00 0,00 0 0”.

Screenshots below.

Thanks for your help,

/Cecilia

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="861"] Semicolon separated data file with decimal commas[/caption]

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Rob Davis. Reason: Added images

Rob Davis
    Keymaster

Thanks for posting this Cecilia! Interesting.  Just so I understand, your version of excel is opening the CSV file and it’s automatically moving Inc. to the next column?  I cannot test this in my US version but I think that’s what’s happening.

This same behavior should not carry into your SAP system (unless you configured it specific for EU).  It should just open the file and separate out the fields per the same order as demoed in the video.  I’ll do some research on my end but I think we should focus on first resolving the RSDS_CONVERT_NUMBER error.  

What happens if you remove that column entirely and don’t bring in ABV information? Still failing? Try removing all the numeric columns? Are the string fields (Brewery, Beer, etc..) coming in as expected?

If so, you’ll need to work on the RSDS_CONVERT_NUMBER conversion routine to properly pull in those columns.  

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Rob

Cecilia
    Participant

Hi Rob,

Yes, when doing Data / Text to Columns the comma is also separating for example “Bells Brewery, Inc.” to “Bells Brewery” and “Inc”. Strange that you don’t get that behaviour; would have thought comma separation would work the same regardless of regional settings?

As for testing without numeric fields, I made a copy of the data file with just the two first columns and then tried, first to remove the remaining fields in a copy of the data source and then to convert tem to char, but both times I got the message “Changes to Field ABV ( Position 4 ) are not compatible with database”. What would it be in the database that’s not compatible?

Also, I’m afraid I don’t know how to run RSDS_CONVERT_NUMBER. Still a newbie 🙂

/Cecilia

Rob Davis
    Keymaster

Hi Cecilia,

The database compatibility message is because of the way the field is structured.  It’s configured within your fields tab in such a way that it would not be possible to store a value within the database.  I’d recommend deleting and re-creating your datasource, using the original csv file/field set up as outlined in the video.  If you’re still having issues, keep experimenting with the way the fields are structured within the fields tab.

I’d love to be able to troubleshoot this for you but you’re the first to come across this issue which leads me to believe something is misconfigured within you SAP system (at no fault of your own).  I’m not sure how to fix that. I’d suggest just watching the remaining videos for the current project.

Thanks,

Rob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copyright © 2016 BUSINESS INTELLIGENCE SOLUTIONS LLC (This website is not affiliated with, sponsored by, or approved by SAP AG)